Friday, June 26, 2020

today and tomorrow/June 26



Carole, who lives in Mexico City, sent this vivid account of the earthquake.

“Riding out earthquakes seems to have become a norm while living in certain parts of Mexico.  This last one didn’t shake me up much at all (pun intended!) though. It was the wavy kind, instead  of the deadlier up and down type. Tuesday morning around  11am the distinctive alarm went off here in Mexico City.  I rushed down the stairs of my third floor apartment in Roma Sur and into the street with all my neighbors.  We stood there while trees started swaying in tune with the hanging lamps inside.  Literally, “the earth moves under your feet,“  but for different reasons than Carole King expressed in her song.  Standing there we reminisced about earlier quakes before making our way back to our individual abodes and our Covid routines.
    A friend commented to me about living in a city where quakes seem to occur frequently, to which I replied, “Well, I lived 10 years in remote quiet Mexican  beach, and there I had to worry about earthquakes AND hurricanes.”  It’s always something, you know.”

Lori's son, who lives in Aspen, sent her a ticket to the Aspen Ideas Festival.  It, of course, is virtual.  From June 28 to July 2.  You can find it easily and see who is featured.

Nancy, our Third Coast Review producer,  writes about robots in her journal.  Interesting.  I'm emailing.


No comments:

Post a Comment