Sunday, June 28, 2020

today and tomorrow/June 28


Gerry's new blog (which I am emailing) showed a coin buried in a sidewalk to illustrate a point he makes about perspective.  He surmises that the coin had probably been dropped before the cement dried.  That took my mind wandering far afield of Gerry's thought but close to what I've been concerned about these days.

The sidewalks in my childhood neighborhood were stamped with what today we would call a logo: The WPA.  That stood for the Works Progress Administration.  It was part of FDR's massive effort to bring us out of the Great Depression.  If the private sector had no jobs, the government would supply them.  Repaving the sidewalk on my street put someone back to work.

And today? The Freakonomics Radio podcast currently has an interview with Andrew Yang.  He discusses his signature idea, a universal basic income.  He also talks about other ways to address our crisis. 
Other experts discuss the future of work.  The show also contains another segment: No Stupid Questions.  I like that perspective.


1 comment: