Sunday, June 21, 2020

today and tomorrow/June 21


Bill, Natalie and Diego 

Happy Father's Day to Bill.  (I wish Miro had been in the photo too.) )  WFMT played flute music in Bill's honor this morning. (They took requests.)

And here is a reprint of a blog I wrote awhile ago about my own father.

When a Father Dies Young
If I could have my father with me again for one day, how old would I like to be? Young I think. Sitting on his lap or holding hands young? I think teenage years. I hope he would be a dad who would encourage his daughter to be her own person. To seek her own accomplishments and fate. He would have had to be a rare man to be of that mind, but there were a few of them back then, so it's not impossible.
In the one photo I have of us together, he is wearing a snappy hat and good suit. He looks satisfied.
Secure enough to let his children know when he is proud of them. From time to time.

An absent father keeps your dream life close. Imagination keeps it going. Removed from disappointment, an absent father lives on as the "good listener". Not the real father I ache to have had, but still an influence.
The mind has room for everything.

1 comment: