Saturday, May 16, 2020

today and tomorrow/May 16

Bonnie's Mom and Friend
Pink building in the background.
Lake Shore Drive

Bonnie and Gerry sent me two photos from yesteryear which remind me that I live on the grounds of what was the Edgewater Beach Hotel.  It was such a famous complex on the lakefront.  One you would think would be around forever.  I went to two weddings of my sorority sisters there.  A glorious  complex of restaurants and a playhouse.  

Now, only the pink building remains.  I see it everyday as I cherish my view of the lake and the gardens.  And, I’ve decided that the ghosts from all of the celebrations and special events that mark the history of the Edgewater Beach Hotel are keeping me company up here on the 26th floor.

From the Past to the Future

Happy Birthday to my lovely, talented Natalie.  As Louis would say: "What a wonderful world."

3 comments:

  1. yes, happiest of birthdays, honey!!! i love seeing my mom (93 next week) in this picture, taken in 1936... she was 9. her cousin, then 14, five years older died in december at the age of 97. They were 2 of 26 cousins in a very big family. my mom's mom and her cousin's father were siblings from a family of 10. Both their daughters were named after their grandmother cecelia (who ironically died in the Spanish flu epidemic, after nursing her husband--their grandfather back to good health)..... But they both had nicknames and most people were not even aware they had the same name. i wasn't until i was much older... my mom (raised in Streator, ill.) spent time at the edgewater beach when she was a kid because my grandparents loved to come up to chicago and stay there and kept a cabana there. i spent time there, as well, as a kid, but by that time, my immediate family lived in uptown and we could walk there. and my grandparents still spent a lot of time there with the cabana until it was torn down. what a loss. but wonderful that the apartment building is still there... and that so many have great stories about the building, designed back in the day by the remarkable architect benjamin marshall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved that building.May it live on!

    ReplyDelete