Thursday, May 14, 2020

today and tomorrow/May 14



Not Lost in the Parade of Death
When I first saw that Little Richard had died, I thought of Phyllis and Carole rockin' and rollin' on the dance floor.  Thanks Carole for sending this remembrance from David Remnick at the New Yorker.  An American original. I'm emailing it.

Patience?  Patience?  Who’s Got Patience!
Colleen writes from Nebraska:
“In the grip of lockdown, I find I am relying on technology much more. Since I do not possess good typing skills, I often defer to using the dictation mode on my I phone while texting. Inevitably, in each couple of sentences, there are glaring mistakes in the dictation which infuriate me. I am always certain that I have enunciated the word quite clearly and I want to strangle the invisible entity doing the dictation. “No you imbecile! I said
‘lamp’ not ‘limp’.” Today I had a sudden insight into the situation. It is actually like having a deaf relative who hasn’t realized yet that they need a hearing aid. Wouldn’t you think I’d have more patience with Siri’s sister? ”

bookshop.org
If you're tired of Amazon big footing all over everything these days, you can order books from this site that supports independent book stores around the country.  I haven't tried it yet, but if you have, let us know how it went.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Little Richard. I was just the right age for the rock and roll era that as far as I was concerned, he and Chuck Berry introduced! Great memories of the dance floor!

    ReplyDelete