Monday, April 13, 2020

today and tomorrow/April 13




Books

When the virus first struck I was trying to remember the name of a lovely book I read about a plague in a small village. It popped up on Book Bub the other day:  Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.  I think it’s still on the top shelf of my bookcase.  I’m not climbing on my ladder anymore.  One day, a friend will be able to come over and take it down for me.  One day.

Book Bub will let you know what book was at the top of the best seller list on the year of your birth.  Mine was The Good Earth by Pearl Buck.  I remember that book.  It was about China before WWII.

Have you noticed the journalists on TV from their homes are in front of their books? I always thought that reading good books helped us lead better lives.  And yet, here we are.

2 comments:

  1. It is at times like this that a grappling hook comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a good book is almost as essential as
    breath. Nothing better during life in the time of covid than to curl up with a gripping book to take you out of reality for a little while.

    ReplyDelete