Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Particles Here and There


 I asked my friend Naomi what she was reading.  “A book about particles,” she said.  “As in physics?”  “Yes, but I’m not reading every word, I’m just trying to get the general idea.”  That reminded me of when I joined my beloved class on baseball.

I soon realized that many of my colleagues occupied a unique space in fandom.  Sometimes the conversation led to: “It was a fast ball on the outside corner that got Hank Greenberg in the 1945 World Series.” 


“Where do I fit in?, I wondered.  I decided to look for the big picture.

I found my place when we discussed the special personality a manager must have to know that his every decision would be questioned.  Or, how rare it is for a star to know when to walk away from the game. Or, how much Major League Baseball missed some of the great American talents from the Negro Leagues.


Physics says that reality requires observation.  So, I refuse to watch the White Sox.  The reality of their disastrous season is lost on me.


See?  I’ve put physics to good use.

1 comment:

  1. The funniest comments was reading a physics book without reading every word. I hope the MDs don't do the same.

    ReplyDelete