Wednesday, July 22, 2020

today and tomorrow/July 22


Jeopardy

I’ve been watching Jeopardy lately.  I was never in the habit like I was for some of the quiz shows in the ’60’s.  But last year I noticed that Ken Jennings was coming back for a G.O.A.T.  challenge.  I’d never seen him in action before so I watched.  I’m so glad Jennings beat that glum opponent James Holzhauer.  A likable winner is so satisfying.

Now, all the talk concerning Jeopardy is about Alex Trebek’s fight with cancer.  There is a huge outpouring of support and love for him.  I understand. I think you can get attached to people you meet on the TV screen.

Now that I’m watching him regularly, what I admire about Alex Trebek is his amazing ability to quickly read off the “answers” without ever stumbling, pausing,  or mispronouncing a word — even those in a foreign language.  What a treat! Since I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts and radio lately, I am so disappointed at how many people with interesting things to say, ruin it by all of their “you know” and “like” tics.  They just can’t get through a sentence without them.

The show is in reruns now. I hope that doesn’t mean that Alex has taken a turn for the worse.  He, and Ruth Bader Ginsberg, are the two we seem to be clinging to right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment