Friday, July 10, 2020

today and tomorrow/July 10



Jackson and the Jews
When, DeSean Jackson, the Eagles football player, repeated familiar anti-jewish material, he was immediately criticized.  Citing lack of education, his coach suggested a trip to the Holocaust Museum in  D.C. followed by a trip to the Museum of African American History.  Good idea!

I hope Jackson will also learn about how the Jewish community stepped up during the Civil Rights Movement.  Why has this crucial alliance been allowed to fade from our history?  Personally, I am remembering my great friend Chuck Markels, who died much too young.  He was an attorney who went south to help with the voting rights effort.  And, working with the ACLU, won a landmark case in Chicago breaking up ghetto public housing. 

I didn't have any trouble finding highlights of this history on the internet.  I'm glad I looked.

Happy Birthday Diego!

My grandson is 15 today.  Tall, handsome, creative.  Special.

1 comment: