Thursday, April 27, 2023

"I Never Watch That Stuff"

 



The death parade continues.  Today, it’s Jerry Springer.  I liked him as an engaging person who endured successfully in the rocky world of trash TV.  His “who’s the daddy?” show came way before the Kardashians or the Housewives.  Unlike those glitzy gals, It was for and about the “other.”  College kids adored it.


The thing about Jerry was that he never took himself or his show seriously.  That doesn’t mean he was patronizing towards his participants or their audience.  He came across as having empathy for their plight.  “My world is crazy and I don’t know what to do, so why not have a moment on TV to set me apart from the rest?”


Did you know that he had once been Mayor of Cincinnati?  He probably could have been a successful politician.  You know, from trash TV to President.  


Jerry would have done it smiling.

2 comments:

  1. He was said by some to be the most gifted politician of his youthful political moment, Joan. His use of troubled and lost people in his TV show was more than I could take, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit to watching his show every so often if I needed some assurance that I wasn't as messed up as I could be. Not particularly noble, I know. I can actually imagine Jerry Springer as a good mayor.

    ReplyDelete