Monday, April 3, 2023

A Know Nothing Attends a Lecture on Math

 



I attended a lecture on math today at the Senior Center.   Math was always the subject that eluded me all throughout my education.  I still don't get it but that doesn’t mean I’m not interested. I was fascinated by the stories of the people and the philosophical implications related to the math discoveries.


The quote I liked is:  Math=Truth
                                Everything else=Opinion

I’m still contemplating whether everything the human mind can discover or imagine already exists and we can only reveal what is already there.  As a writer who feels alive and worthwhile when I a writing in my diary or publishing my blog, it pains me to think of life this way.  But I know I would probably lose an argument if obliged to defend my thinking up against the minds  described in the lecture.

P.S.  The photo is of Terrence Tao who = The real Young Sheldon.


3 comments:

  1. As you may recall, my sister’s college major was mathematics. She was and still is absolute in her statements/thinking. I’ve always wondered if that’s a mathematical mind. Whereas. I see more grey in various ideas and theories. Good for you for attending the lecture.
    💕Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. A most interesting question. I will have to ponder that for discussion at our next luncheon.

    ReplyDelete