Thursday, March 30, 2023

A Difficult Choice

 


Daniel Ellsberg has cancer.  He says he is writing the last pages of the final chapter.  Yes, I knew him in high school and he was a good friend of my brother.  My friends rolled their eyes but indulged my shameless hyperbole as I joked about how, on a date many years later, I convinced him to turn against the Vietnam War.  Thus, the Pentagon Papers.  History.


At a Kingswood/Cranbrook  reunion, I made sure that the Republican Senator Alan Simpson overheard me when I said that Ellsberg was our most illustrious alum.  (Simpson can have the last laugh now as I would gladly place him back in the Senate in exchange for any one of the hapless Republicans.)


Ellsberg is still speaking out.  Still making news.  And, I hope still appreciated for the difficult life he chose.




3 comments:

  1. A nice tribute, Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Joan. Daniel Ellsberg was indeed a courageous human being in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful tribute! Camille

    ReplyDelete