Monday, September 7, 2020

Today and tomorrow/September 6



I've told this story before, but I have the urge to repeat it today -- Labor Day.

I went to Florida with a girlfriend to visit her parents.  They lived in a trailer park near Kissimmee.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  The trailer itself  was spacious, modern and in a park with a club house, little putting green, swimming pool and lots of green space where the Florida birds were easy to spot.

My friend's father told me that most of the people who lived in the complex were retired auto workers from Detroit.  They had been able to secure this amazing retirement because of social security and the union wages they earned from working forty, even fifty years on the assembly line.

Now, Labor Day seems stripped of its meaning.  This year, it's even a reminder that colder weather is ahead with more lockdown time in store.

2 comments: