Saturday, August 1, 2015

Disposable



There was a time when "disposable" was considered cutting-edge innovation.  I remember when, at the hospital, I was offered a sample supply of the new disposable diapers -- the first ones on the scene before they reached the market.  They were pretty awful so I stuck with the diaper man who picked up and delivered the cloth ones twice a week.

I was reminded of "disposable" when I went to the grocery store today.  No more plastic bags.  You get one free shopping bag -- the next time you have to pay for one.  "Re-use" and paper is the new innovation.

So is Uber and Airbnb.  They are the two "sharing" services that take advantage of internet connections.  Just as everyone can be a journalist on Facebook, etc., now everyone with a car or spare room can have a "job."

The diaper men were the ones who became disposable.   Will pensions, safety regulations, and "expertise" be next?

I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment