Thursday, April 11, 2013

In the Minority Again





I was interested when I heard that Ron Johnson, the Apple person who had created those marvelous looking retail stores, was taking over stodgy old  JC Penney.  And, I was excited when the first JC Penney insert showed up in my Sunday paper:  White. Clean. New name (JCP). Great design. Colorful logo. This was worth investigating.

The closest JCP store was miles away in a northwest suburb.  But,  my curiosity propelled me to the Golf Mill Mall.  I was not disappointed.  A few departments had been transformed to the Apple ambiance.  And, the clothes (mostly t-shirts, sweaters, jeans) were inviting.  Sephora, the makeup place, had been installed as a store-within-a store.  The salespeople were extremely capable and flexible. (I got to use the "wrong" coupon.)  I was a very happy customer.

I looked around at the rest of the merchandise and thought:  "Mr. Apple is going to have his hands full for the next few years."

Silly me.  Why should good old JC Penney change for the likes of  Steve Jobs?  Or Ron Johnson?  Or me?   It didn't.  Ron Johnson was fired last week.

Maybe I'll go back one more time for the clearance sale.


1 comment:

  1. This is priceless, Joan. Always the wordsmith--and great ease to read. Thanks, Judy

    ReplyDelete