Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston on my mind

Boston plays out in special ways for me.  As a teenager I visited family friends in the summer, and as a college student, I attended Harvard summer school.  I loved the place.

An infamous connection with beantown occurred in the late sixties.  I was divorced and my mother staked me to a fancy cruise.  Would it be unkind to think she was hoping a rich son-in-law might be the payoff?  I ended up with two union bosses from Boston.  They were up from "the dig" probably with dues money. Married, but no wives on board.  They insisted that the fancy French chef prepare corned beef and cabbage.  Yes, it was a trip.

The last time I was in Boston was when I went to visit my friend Camille who had moved there in the '80's.  It was New Years eve and Boston had invented "First Night."  It was celebrating free cultural events all over town.  We were in a happy crowd waiting to get into a performance by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Just like the happy crowd waiting for their runners to make it to the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment