Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Barbie Explains Everything


 This oldster wanted to know what all the fuss is about.  My friends said the movie was about “girl power”.  “Like Legally Blonde?” , I thought to myself. 


Barbie and Ken leave BarbieLand for The Real World.  Waiting for them is Greta Gerwig.  And the human power of creativity.  I’m overwhelmed by how she made something so meaningful and important out of plastic and pink.


The moment for me was America Ferrara’s soliloquy on being a woman.  


Okay.  Maybe I’m taking it all too seriously.  


You know who else isn’t brushing off Barbie?  The men who went to the theater and now feel “barbi-qued.” And, the bloviating politicians who are screaming foul. 


The Pinocchio ending is perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Joan I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. I wasn’t going to go, as Barbie was never a thing in my life. Movie was great. Our theatre applauded after America’s soliloquy. 💞Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not on my “Must see” list. Now, thanks to you, it is. I called my closest liberal friend (not many left in Florida), read her your blog, and we’re checking play times!

    ReplyDelete