Saturday, August 19, 2023

Blind Sided


 

I loved the movie The Blind Side.  And now I feel bad. Confused.  I know enough about movie making to understand that “based on a true story” leaves a lot of room for the plot to work.  I know a little about who gets paid and how much to not be surprised by any of the stories of where the movie money went.


What makes me feel bad is this:  am I a “white savior?”  What does that even mean?  When one of my favorite writers, the leftie Dave Zirin, says the movie was trash because of the “white savior” thing, I am paying attention.


Yes, I marched with MLK when he was in Chicago.  One of my best friends, Chuck Markels, went south to register voters and I cheered him on. I cried when Lyndon Johnson said “We Shall Overcome.”  Is that “white savior?”


So, now I’m feeling bad about feeling bad.  Don’t tell me I’m one of those people who want to “black out” history because I might feel bad.


So, who am I?

1 comment: