Thursday, February 2, 2023

The Big Picture

 


My brother died a few days ago.  I wasn't able to go to the funeral in Detroit, but I was able to watch it via zoom.  (Remarkable!)

My dear friend Marilyn sent me this writing, which I'm going to pass along.  If it has meaning for you, I'm glad to share it.


I have never been born,
and I have never died.
Look at the infinite oceans and skies filled with stars,
Manifestations from the basis of consciousness
Since beginningless time I have been free.
Birth and death are only doors through which we pass,
sacred thresholds on our journey.
Birth and death are a game of hide-and-seek.
So laugh with me,
hold my hand,
let us say good-bye,
say good-bye, to meet again soon.
We meet today,
We will meet again tomorrow.
We will meet at the source every moment.
We meet each other in all forms, on the myriad paths of life.


~ Thích Nhất Hạnh, "No Death, No Fear"

 

6 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear this, Joan. My condolences. Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of my loved ones who have died, I say
    “Thank you for being in my life.”

    A brother or sister loss is very difficult because it reminds us of our own mortality, don’t you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, you have my sincere condolences. Beautiful sentiments. Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan, I love the poem. I’m so sorry to hear about your brother. Losing siblings is so hard as they have been part of our own life history the longest. 💞to you, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEAR Joan, I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be so hard not to be able to go to the funeral. Big hug, Melinda

    ReplyDelete