Sunday, January 22, 2023

Smart vs. Smart

 


I recently hired Stanley Steamer to clean my carpeting and couch.  Shortly before the arrival time, I received a message on my phone that the yellow truck was on its way.  And a picture of the truck on the highway.  Several minutes later I received another message: “Our workman Devon is minutes away from your door.”  This time there was a picture of the smiling man.


He did a terrific job and I’m happy with my clean couch and carpet.


But, it got me thinking.  How many layers of information do we really need to complete a simple transaction?  More important, how much expense and brain power are we adding to just going about our lives?


I know.  It’s easy to devise ways to excite the insatiable consumer.  Much harder is the task of exciting a desire for peace, shared abundance and empathy. 


I would happily await my Stanley Steamer man without layers of notice if our marvelous brains were engaged in noble pursuits.


5 comments:

  1. Indeed, Joan. Pleasure and money appear to drive the Western World. Glad your couch and carpet now feel appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does border on the ridiculous. When my couch was being delivered, I got a map showing the truck en route, and every corner it turned to get to my bldg. Even to the first time it drove past and had to navigate narrow streets and tight corners to make it back. Way too much information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is reassuring to me. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. Enough already with all the notices. If I make a doctor's appointment, I don't need reminders or a confirmation I'm coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point, Joan. I also wonder how much of it is the company keeping track of the driver rather than alerting the customer.

    ReplyDelete