Monday, September 30, 2024

When Losing Isn't So


 

As you know I love my Literature of Baseball Class.  This time the book is: "Why We Love Baseball."  It's a countdown of 50 memorial moments in the game.

I've found that incidents in baseball (and other sports) give us a clear look at the complexities of life.

Harvey Haddix pitched 12 perfect innings during which his team failed to score a run.  They ended up losing.  Haddix, throughout his life, downplayed the achievement concentrating on the loss.

I believe that his perfect effort far outshines the outcome.  The human story is that we can give it our best knowing that we always live among others.

2 comments:

  1. Haddix is remembered for his achievement more than most pitchers who finished 9 and pitched a regular no hitter. I'd add that Haddix achievement, seems to me something like the small imperfections we see all around us. No matter how long we live, none of us is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your final sentence—so true!
    💞Camille

    ReplyDelete