Saturday, August 12, 2023

Emergency Grammar Prevails

 

I was at the doc's office the other day when he recommended that I go to the Emergency Room.  The nurse said:" We're required to recommend an ambulance.  If you want to go on your own, you need to sign here."

This reminded me of one of my most strenuous encounters with the English Language.  I was playing ping pong at a Senior Tournament at the Cultural Center.  While attempting to return a slam, I fell and broke my wrists.

One of the employees at the Center arrived and asked if I wanted an ambulance.  My friend Bev said: "It will be faster in a cab."  The young woman wrote:  Joan Chandler don't wants an ambulance. Sign here.

I left muttering:  "Doesn't want! Doesn't want!


1 comment:

  1. Very clever, Joan. After a while, more than a few misfortunes become the fodder of laughter. Maybe you should send the young woman a bill for the grammar lesson!

    ReplyDelete