Sunday, July 23, 2023

Unavoidable?

 


My friends Trudy and Phyllis pass along their copies of the New Yorker to me.  Unlike sharing passwords —  sharing books, magazines, and lively conversation still takes place privately.  Feeling the need to include the word “still” sends a shiver up my spine.


A recent article written by the popular Zadie Smith got me thinking about the “inevitable.”  She was referring to how her British roots were always nudging her to write a historical novel.  And, when she finally gave in to that inevitability, Charles Dickens was everywhere.  Too high a mountain to cross, burrow through or go around.


I quipped to Phyllis: “Is Zadie Smith, the writer, giving in to Dickens the same as you and I, the consumer, giving in to Amazon?”


On what basis do we pick our fights?  Or acknowledge surrender?  Or hide in the shadows, hoping to remain out of reach?



1 comment:

  1. Joan, i’m writing from Seattle! So great to read your posts. Keep up the great work! xxx kathy

    ReplyDelete