Monday, July 17, 2023

The Future Wins

 


When he lost the first set 6-0, I almost turned off the TV. "He's not ready.  The moment is too big for him."  But it was early Sunday morning and I had no plans.  "I'll stick around to see how he does in the second set."

Almost five hours later, I was standing and clapping in a fan's moment of amazement and joy.  What a match!  Right up there with the giants I had loved for so long.  I was having such a hard time saying goodbye and figuring out who the new ones were going to be.  

When the English lady was interviewing him, and he was thanking all of his support team, she said: "You know, the King of Spain came here to watch you today."

Carlos Alcarez smiled and said politely:  "That's very nice."  Maybe he was thinking: "You may be King, but the Crown belongs to me today."

No comments:

Post a Comment