Tuesday, December 28, 2021

It's My Chance

 


I was thinking about writing this story when Ben Joravsky's column in the Reader sealed the deal.  Several unlikely players are getting a chance to make their presence known in the NBA because covid has taken its toll on the regulars.  

I'm not going to dwell on thoughts of an inferior product.  Instead,  I'm imagining with glee how great these players must feel during their time in the "big time."

Alonzo McKinnie, the Bull of the moment, says this:

“Man, to be honest, it’s the biggest dream come true. I’m a west-side kid. I grew up like ten, 15 minutes down the way. Watched the Bulls growing up. So just being able to compete on the highest stage in my hometown, on my favorite side of the city, the west side, it’s been surreal to be honest. Just putting that jersey on has been everything for me.”

C'mon, doesn't this make you feel a little better?  McKinnie scored 16 points against the Rockets.  Maybe he'll be one of the few who stick.

2 comments:

  1. As I understand it, he has signed a permanent contract, but then got put on the Covid list. Once he comes back, it will be interesting to watch him. This team is the only one in Chicago getting my regular attention during the baseball lockout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, this is great and not unlike the situation on Broadway (and off-), where understudies and swings are stepping in to fill roles when actors test positive. Great opportunity to shine a light on new talent! NancyB

    ReplyDelete