Saturday, June 5, 2021

My Private Fossil




I went down to my storage locker yesterday.
  I wanted to retrieve the inflatable mattress in anticipation of Diego’s arrival next week. I can’t remember the last time I visited the locker.  But then, this story is about “I can’t remember.”


As I was digging through my pile of “stuff”, I was shocked to find a beautiful little rug.  The design is a vivid American Indian one: red, black and white.  The shock was that I couldn’t remember where it came from.  Of course, I brought it upstairs with the mattress.


Slowly, the story of the rug seeped into my consciousness.  It was from the time when I visited Arizona frequently.  I actually rented a little house there once.  I am sure now that I bought the rug at the gift shop in the Heard Museum in Phoenix.  Now I think of it as new, new, new.  A colorful addition to my space.


There are boxes in my locker whose contents remain a mystery.  I think I will unearth the fossils one by one.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Joan,
    This is Gayle, your former colleague from our copywriting days. Annie told me about your blog and I must say your writing is so interesting! Your passion, varied topics and opinions have me going back to read more. Take care and keep at it, Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea, only I don't have a storage room. And the rug looks great. Have a nice visit with Diego.

    ReplyDelete