Monday, November 9, 2020

The Answer Man

 


I started watching Jeopardy again during the lockdown.  I wasn't paying attention for many years.  Bill told me that his friend Tim Joyce had won $20,000.  I missed the showdown between Watson and Ken Jennings.  In fact, I missed Ken's relentless march to his millions.  When I was a young housewife, I watched all of the popular quiz shows.  I knew lots of the answers.  Now, there are whole categories that have passed me by.

This summer I got to watch the match between Jennings and a recent Champion, James Holzhauer.  I was glad when Ken won. I like his personality.

We all knew that Alex Trebek was fighting pancreatic cancer.  He looked great and carried on with his special command of every answer.  He had a unique dignity that made Jeopardy the favorite that it is.

Thanks Alex for keeping me company.  Here he is in his own words:

“Don’t ask me who’s going to replace me because I have no say whatsoever." "But I’m sure that if you give them the same love and attention and respect that you have shown me … then they will be a success and the show will continue being a success. And until we meet again, God bless you and goodbye.”

No comments:

Post a Comment