Monday, October 5, 2020

Another Worthwhile Voice

 



My favorite public intellectual right now is Anand Giridharadas.  I hope he'll be okay with me referring to him now as A.G.  I first came across A.G. when I read his book Winners Take All.  It's an intriguing look at philanthropy as practiced by the billionaire class.  He pops up on TV occasionally and I'm always glad I'm watching when he does.


A.G. is on the internet at The.Ink.  Here's an excerpt regarding today's crazy Trump news.

What is dying now is so much bigger than him. It is this fantasy, this masquerade, of strength. This old, empty, puffed-up way of being a man. This economic philosophy that murders human potential in the name of birthing it. This insistence on doing one’s thing, listening to no authority ordering you to cover your orifices, and preferring death on a genocidal scale to your own yielding. This clinging to the kind of freedom that kills you. 


1 comment: