Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Big Data Sings its Song



Last year my friend Myles gave me an ECHO for Christmas.  I appreciated the gift, but it sat for several months unplugged because I couldn't think of anything I really needed to ask "Alexa" -- the friendly humanoid voice attached to big data.

Then, when the bad reception in my living room made it almost impossible to enjoy my radio, I decided to see what ECHO could do.  Alexa got me connected right away.

I'm sure Amazon was listening too.  A few weeks later I received an offer of three months of unlimited music for $.99.  I fell into the net.

"Alexa, please play Tchaikowsky Piano Concerto with Van Clybourn the pianist."  "I do not understand that request."  I tried another approach.  "Alexa, please play Tchaikowsky."  "Playing Tchaikowsky songs," came the voice.  Immediately the concerto began.  So now I have no trouble asking Alexa for my favorite composers.

Concerto.  Symphony.  String Quartet.  Life is but a song.

3 comments:

  1. And thus the corruption of language goes on. Once upon a time, I'd like to think, a concerto was not a song, however songful it might be. Tchaikovsky probably is turning over in his grave. Or maybe, delighted that he is remembered in whatever way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive only used it for game scores, starting times and how many breeds of dogs are there in the world.

    the rest of the time i listen to my favorite singers and groups all day long. i love it. didn't i tell you about music.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this whole idea!!! and for 99 cents yet!

    ReplyDelete