Saturday, March 10, 2018

A Knock on the Head


Yesterday, after a lovely afternoon at the Chicago Symphony, I was walking down Wabash Avenue by the Palmer House when I tripped and fell.  Here's one sound I've never heard before:  my head hitting the sidewalk.  My friend Gerry was helping me when two young men rushed over.  A few seconds later, one of them was handing me a bunch of napkins to press against my face and stop the blood.
And, right after that the security person from the hotel came out.  He called an ambulance.  How did you know I fell and need help I asked him.  "A young man came and found me."

So now I am home with six stitches and a big bruise over my eye.  And because my mind goes there, I am thinking about the randomness of life.  The fall was painful and cruel.  The two young men were beautiful.  And that is the essence of the unexpected.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Joan, I'm so sorry to hear this. Thank you for letting me know. And bravo to everyone who helped you. Do you feel like getting phone calls? Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it was "just six stitches." and that you didn't have to stay in the hospital. i know you will heal up fast as you usually do--but you do have my sympathy for having to go through this at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you! I had much the same experience myself a few weeks back. I know you must have been so scared when it happened. Are you taking phone calls?

    ReplyDelete