Thursday, March 3, 2016

In the Cards?


Why do people cheat?  I haven't been tempted very often. I think that's because, when it comes to competition, I'm a bit of a wimp.  I'm not determined to be NO. 1.  And, I'm uncomfortable around those types when they do show up.  Most often for me they show up at the Bridge table.

No smiles.  No banter.   Often arguing with their partner about how they played the previous hand. Quick to recite the rules.  Challenge every score.  Cheaters?  Most often, definitely not.  But if your looking . . .

Content with my mediocre game, I finally found a place to play.  Most of the time my partner and I land in the middle.  Sometimes, when the better players are away, we reach the top.  Fine with me.

There is an article in this week's New Yorker about cheating in the stratosphere of the international game. There is so much "security" at this level that Bridge players actually bid behind a screen!    This is creepy.  Even those scary Poker players limit their camouflage to hoodies and sunglasses.

Are Bridge players morally inferior? Bridge is supposed to be a 'thinking man's" game.  If the "thinking" extends to "how will I not get caught," we are dealing with more than the cards here.


2 comments:

  1. Arguing! And quick to recite the rules!! Throws you off from what they're really up to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit to always feeling that I am really missing something not knowing how to play bridge.

    ReplyDelete