Wednesday, March 13, 2013

80



Philip Roth is going to be 80.  His hometown, Newark, is celebrating his birthday with a tour of places associated with the writer and his works.  No, to my knowledge, this is not the latest heroic act of Newark's irrepressible Mayor Cory Booker.  But, it might as well be.  We don't notice Newark too much and, when we do, it's not for literary excellence. (I wonder if New Jersey's other high profiler, Chris Christie, will partake in the festivities.)

Recently, I wrote about the book,  Gone Girl.  The more I think about it and discuss it with my friends, I'm convinced that it's not just a manipulative page turner.  It's an important work that captures our time in a thoughtful and significant way.

Which reminds me of American Pastoral, Roth's masterpiece.  I'm not putting Gillian Flynn up there with Roth, but they both give us lots of insight.  And, lots of great reading!

1 comment:

  1. Whats up this is kinda of off topic
    but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if
    you have to
    manually code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding
    skills so I wanted to get guidance from
    someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Here is my page :: view Here

    ReplyDelete