Sunday, September 17, 2023

Always More Stories


 My class on the Literature of Baseball is more fun that I hoped it would be.  There are twenty two on our team, three women.  The other two gals are just as steeped in the stats as the guys.  I’m just a bench warmer but feel totally welcome just the same.

We’re discussing now one of the game’s greatest moments:  Babe Ruth pointing to the stands and delivering the ball to that very spot.  You’ve heard about it, I know you have. No surprise, the story has twists and turns.  FDR threw out the first pitch. (Yes! FDR.) Charlie Root, the all-time winningest pitcher for the Cubs, and Ruth’s opponent on the mound, disputes the hand gesture.  “If I had thought he was pointing, I would have plunked him with the next pitch.”


That’s what we talk about back and forth. There’s always more to the story.  And there are always more stories.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the class discussed that the existing film footage indicates Ruth was gesturing toward the Cubs dugout, not the bleachers. Moreover, no newspaper mentioned a called shot when reporting the game. Glad you enjoyed the class, Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you’re so enjoying this classJoan!! 💞Camille

    ReplyDelete