Tuesday, July 5, 2022

I'm Not Sorry


 

Today is the 42nd anniversary of the Borg/McEnroe tiebreaker.  Some say it was the best conclusion ever to a tennis match.  The lead went back in forth in heart stopping closeness. Okay, I’ll tell you.  Borge won 18-16. I watched every minute and I’m not sorry.


Not sorry?  Why would I say that?  I was a house guest at friends’ beachfront cabin in Michigan.  I was called politely, and then, in rising levels of impatience, for dinner.  Surely it was going to conclude in a minute.  No.  Both players showed their endless skill and determination. My guest status was sealed.  


Borge played only one slam after that and retired very young.  McEnroe still laments his decision.


I’m watching Wimbledon  now.  They’ve changed the rules so tiebreakers have to end at 10 points.  If my hosts were still part of my life, I would not have the opportunity to be so rude.

1 comment:

  1. I can now say I've read the Joan Chandler Declaration of Independence! At least your version, Joan, still carries the weekend weight it used to!

    ReplyDelete