Monday, June 13, 2022

Washed Away

 


Are you familiar with the concept of "sports-washing?"  (Not to be confused with sports watching.)  The idea is that sports is deliberately promoted by the "powers that be" to distract us from the social and economic practices that would most serve our really important interests.

It goes back to the idea of "bread and circuses."  If the we have just enough to eat, and can be continually entertained, we won't revolt no matter how unfair the conditions of our lives.

So here I am, being "washed" over and over by the NBA playoffs. (Big game tonight!)  I am really clean.  Or, am I?

2 comments:

  1. I understand. I'm using the NBA finals to forget real news. I'm not able to stay up for the whole game, tho. Eastern time sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never heard of this before but it makes total sense! btw, loved your dad piece above, too...

    ReplyDelete