Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Courage and the Burden

 


The Courage and Burden of the Investigative Journalist


I have a friend who is a journalist.  Just starting out.  Just starting to catch the attention of publications around the country.  She is excited, enthusiastic and dedicated to bringing powerful, corrupt people to our attention. 


“These articles require so much research and detective work.  It is really time consuming.

And the pay is so low.  I just can’t quit my job.  I hope I’ll get some free lance marketing work soon.  Maybe that will free me up for my real passion.”


She went on to tell me how victims in this one story were coming forward to her every day.  She felt such a responsibility to them and to telling their truth.


Caught up in admiring her completely, I couldn’t help feeling a little dread.  “Please remember to protect yourself and your life”, I said.  “There are so many victims, so many stories”. 


No comments:

Post a Comment