Friday, March 26, 2021

Stitches in Time

 



My knitting years occurred way before the internet and its knitting site Ravelry which is discussed at length in an article in a recent New Yorker.  It was personal then.  The person I’m thinking about is Sis Franklin who held forth in her shop on Wells Street.


Sis was a very large woman who sat (am I only imagining this?) on a raised chair and conducted audiences with her devoted followers one knitter at a time.  While we waited for the great one, we lamented our mistakes to each other.  Some showed off their prowess.  It was impressive.


My big accomplishment from the Sis Franklin experience was a black mohair sweater.  It was gorgeous.  To start, the wool was expensive, then I paid to have it lined (mohair is very picky) and assembled.  You’re probably thinking I could have bought something just as good for the money I spent, but you would be wrong.  It was my triumph.  


Funny how life is. The sweater was discarded sometime that I don’t even remember. But I still cling to a gorgeous mohair coat sweater than I bought in Norway many years ago. 


Today looks like a good day to find it in the closet.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. I'm so attached to certain items of clothing (even if I didn't make them).

    ReplyDelete