Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Black and White Together

 


Evanston passed a law offering reparations to African American residents who can prove they, or their ancestors,  have a history of living in the suburb.  This brought back memories both happy and poignant.  Memories of black and white in the 1950’s while attending Northwestern.


We lived at Orrington House.  It was called a “foreign student home.”  It really was several black girls from Chicago who had obtained music scholarships.  And, a few white girls like me who applied too late to obtain housing in a dorm.


I didn’t know what awaited me at college, but I never imagined anything like this. It was magic.  The music girls were so talented.  Every night a jam session could erupt.


When we attempted to go out together for a coffee or a meal, Evanston was unrelenting.  “Sorry, we can’t seat you.”  “We are all full.”  “What kind of a group are you anyway.”  The saddest time was when we showed up for a reservation at the Empire Room in the Palmer House.  We had pooled our money to celebrate a birthday.  Even in Chicago, we were turned away. 


The law in Evanston passed easily.  The city is being hailed as a model to be admired.

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you wrote about your college experience, Joan. I was blind to much of what was going on, until my eyes opened and I began to look around me and ask questions. Even then I was partially blind.

    ReplyDelete