Saturday, July 27, 2019

To Stare or Not


I was having coffee at Dunkin Donuts with my friend David.  A woman came in with two children, probably about 3 or 4.   They ran around the place screaming.  I waited a little while and then finally put my finger to my lips indicating the shhh signal and gave the woman a stare.

She said: "What do you think this is?  A Michelin five star restaurant?  It's only Dunkin Donuts!"  I thought: "Now that's an interesting concept.  Civilized behavior is only expected now for the 1%?"

I was reminded of the incident a few years back when the owner of Taste of Heaven on Clark Street received national attention for asking women with boisterous toddlers to leave.  He got a lot of flack but I think there's still a little sign in his window describing his stance.

Bill and Marguerite quickly caught on how to behave in restaurants.  Here's a belated but heart felt pat on their back.


2 comments:

  1. My blog later today is going to deal with ritual propriety as part of the elixir to heal what ails us. Good example, Joan. By the way, now you know why I only eat at five star restaurants!😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. that IS an interesting concept, civilized behavior only being for the 1 percent!!!

    ReplyDelete