Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Before Black Friday



Before there was Black Friday, there was J.R. Hudson's, the retail palace of my years in Detroit.  So, when I noticed one Thanksgiving that the store was promoting an early a.m. opening on the day after the holiday, I asked the gals if they wanted to do a little shopping and some deli eating after.
We had so much fun that first year that we looked forward to it as a new Thanksgiving tradition. 

Then, as is true of so many commercial ideas, it morphed into a monster.  Families were robbed of their day off.  People fought and grabbed.  Now, it's not even a one day event.

What's wrong with us?  That's what I was thinking as Christmas music was playing in my garage -- a full week before Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. What is wrong is the belief that material things we'll create some kind of lasting happiness. Thus, everything has been commercialized and you can't go to a ballgame without spending a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love going into Pittsburgh to the big department stores - I know what you mean. Melinda Power

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least all those new self storage buildings will also benefit from additional business!

    ReplyDelete