Saturday, April 27, 2024

Taking a Break

 

Remember Charles Van Doren and the Quiz Show scandal?  It comes up right away in Doris Kearns Goodwin’s memoir of her life with Dick Goodwin.  I reached for the book as soon as it came out.  Like everyone else, I need a break from today.  I thought: “Here’s a chance to hang out with the good guys.”


I knew Richard Goodwin as the eloquent speechwriter who crafted some of the best works of JFK and then Lyndon Johnson. But before that, Dick Goodwin was a young “deep state” guy working in Congress.  He got the FCC to blow the whistle on the immensely popular but ultimately “fake” quiz programs. At the time, I had a hard time believing it had actually happened. And now?


(See what I mean about needing a break?)

1 comment:

  1. I remember those days when addiction meant watching game shows that required some independent knowledge, or so we thought

    ReplyDelete