Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Unexpected

 


Recently I was having brunch with my friend Phyllis at our favorite diner.  You know the place.  A huge plastic menu filled with great selections, cheap and delicious.

When it came time to leave, the waitress told us our bill had been paid for.  "By whom?", we asked.  "I really don't know," she said.  When we called the manager over to ask the same question, he gave the same reply.

We gave a big tip and left the diner deep into a discussion of the kindness of strangers.

Today, I dropped my heavy package by the elevators to go pick up my mail.  (I'll be so glad when the election is over and my mailbox is not overflowing.)  When I returned, there was a little card in the shape of a star sitting beside my package.  And a piece of chocolate candy.  The card said, "Oh what a beautiful day."

I came upstairs contemplating the kindness of strangers.  And the delightful mysteries that we never expect.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps a secret admirer. Not me, in this case, since to admit anything would give away the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete