Monday, July 5, 2021

I Pulled Over to Listen

 


I was driving around doing errands this morning when Rhapsody in Blue came on.  I didn’t want to miss a minute of it so I pulled over to enjoy it all.  I’ve been so sad about the USA lately.  Yesterday, the 4th wasn’t as exciting as it used to be.


So, thank you WFMT for your morning program devoted to American music, and especially playing George Gershwin’s masterpiece.


I know the familiar is taking a maybe well deserved beating these days, but never Rhapsody in Blue.

4 comments:

  1. Indeed, a great piece. The best stereo version I know is Bernstein's first, conducting and playing the piano with the NY Philharmonic, though it is worth listening to the original abbreviated recording of the piece with Paul Whiteman's Orchestra, Gershwin at the piano, and the clarinetist who Gershwin wrote the opening solo for, Ross Gorman. I'll bet you notice how much different these artists make the experience of listening. Don't get scared about the 78 RPM sound from 1924: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGvuUOtHGkk

    ReplyDelete
  2. PBS just had a special on Broadway Musicals that was superb. It focused on music and Jewish composers. It was very special. Gershwin’s music was highlighted of course. Look for its repeat. Happy Fourth Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite pieces of music

    ReplyDelete