Friday, November 1, 2019

Not in Time


There is a drug now for treating cystic fibrosis that is going to make it a "manageable disease." Not the death sentence anymore.  The results have been so promising that patients and even doctors are often in tears.  The FDA has leaped forward with approval.

I know a family -- a very rich and socially prominent couple -- who lost two children to cystic fibrosis.  Their lives were short and very difficult.  Another "lucky" child was spared.  Another was adopted.  (I guess not tempting fate.)

As I read the news today, my heart went out to that mom and dad.  They are oldsters now like me.  I'm sure they are thrilled with the news.  Maybe they will pull out a picture of their lost children and tell them about what time has made possible. I imagine it will be with a very bittersweet smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment