Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Mr. Music






The one thing you learned about my friend early on is that he loved classical music.  The walls in his living room were covered by hundreds of CDs.  He knew what the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was playing and was in the audience regularly.  He could tell you about the members of the orchestra, past and present. He had even interviewed some of the great conductors.

Several months ago at lunch my friend revealed that a doctor had made a medical mistake that had rendered him “hard of hearing.”  When we met recently he filled me in on his “hard of hearing” life. Yes, he had hearing aids.  And yes, he was still seeking treatment.

What he said next caught me by surprise. “I was depressed for awhile because I was having so much trouble listening to my music.  I couldn’t get it right. Meditation helped with my depression but not enough.  Then one day I decided to give it up.  To put music aside completely.   I discovered that I am still complete. I’m going on with my life.”

My friend was matter of fact as he told me his story.  I was excited.  Thrilled even.  No victimhood.  No demand to be celebrated as a hero.

Life promises us nothing.  It’s up to each one of us to fill in the blanks.  Thanks for the reminder, my friend.














1 comment:

  1. It's like giving up running for me--almost but not quite. I wasn't as involved as he apparently was. I just loved the feeling I got every day from doing it. But life makes you move on.

    ReplyDelete