Monday, July 1, 2019

Blue Nails




I asked Natalie how she felt about wearing makeup (she doesn't).  She's not against it, but said it "felt funny" the few times she's tried.  "How about hair dye?," I asked.  "I see all kinds of color on the bus and downtown."  "The Woodstock girls are into that," she replied.  She said it like tiny Woodstock was "big city" stuff.  "They consider it an expression of personal creativity.  Wearable art."

My friend Lail is adamantly against wearing makeup.  Not for political reasons.  We were both aware of that phase when "feminism" first arrived in our young adulthood.  She says: "I never felt I looked any better with it, so why bother."

I don't remember ever seeing my mother without makeup, and I rarely see myself with an "au natural" face. That just how it should be.  Thanks, Mom.

The girl who takes the money at the McDonald's window displays nails of every color.  She inspired me to get blue polish last week.  It still feels a little "freaky" but in a good way.




3 comments:

  1. Interesting, thanks for writing this Joan. Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color makes life a bit more interesting, though I've seen a few young women who try to "gild the lily," usually succeeding only in diminishing it. My opinion only, of course, and if they are satisfied, then my opinion is irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gerry. There's so much to absorb these days when our opinions are irrelevant. I agree that it's fun to see the color.

    ReplyDelete