Sunday, May 6, 2018

Pointless Points




My bridge playing friends know what the expression "Points Schmoints" means:  there is more than one way to evaluate a hand.  I was thinking about this as my friend David lamented that a computer breakdown had prevented him from getting the "points" he needs for a free donut.

Then I went home, opened my email, and found out that because one vendor considers me a "VIP Customer",  I am entitled to "points(!)" which I can use at times and for purchases that are too complicated to describe.

Walgreens is a little more straightforward.  Seniors get 20% off on the first Tuesday of the month.  Of course, you have to remember the date. But, like bridge, they say memory games are good for your brain.

Target gives 5% discount on everything as long as you use their "Red Card."  I'm sure there is profit in there somewhere.

Facebook probably wishes they were giving "points" for your VIP identity.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm a points person in terms of bridge, but I will size up a hand every now and then. Thanks for the "points" column. We loved Collateral.

    ReplyDelete