Monday, September 4, 2017

After the Line


One of the loveliest place in nature I've visited was on the grounds of a trailer park near Kissimmee, Florida.  As I was suffering through the last days of a crumbling marriage, my great friend Kathy suggested I tag along when she drove to pick up her folks and bring them back to Chicago.

I had never been to a trailer park or stayed in a trailer.  This one was nothing like my silly expectations.  Spacious, modern, and situated in a park with a club house, little putting green, swiming pool and lots of green space and water.

Kathy's father and I walked around.  He told me that most of the people who lived in the park were retired auto workers from Detroit.  They had been able to secure this amazing retirement because of social security and the wages they earned from working forty, even fifty years on the assembly line.

Now, we've turned much of that work over to robots.  No retirement required.

3 comments:

  1. What a great story and beautiful picture. Thanks for writing this. Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. As they say, robots don't get sick, don't complain, and can work 24/7. Yikes! A pity that the honorable, hard working, decently compensated life of a blue collar worker is a vanishing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, Joan. I observed Labor Day by listening to a lot of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger.

    ReplyDelete