Monday, July 13, 2015

Reading



Sandra Verthein's post about reading stats caught me off guard.  80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.  42% of college grads never read another book after college.  This puts a new slant on "best sellers," doesn't it?

My friend Kathy always said that reading great literature was the best form of therapy.  If you agree that reading expands our place in the universe and inspires empathy you understand what she is getting at.

Maybe health care professionals should start book clubs among their patients.  I'll always take the written word over popping a pill.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post, Joan - I absolutely agree. I hope I never have to get rid of my favorite books. Lack of reading has turned us into a closed, xenophobic society, quick to suspect and malign the "others".

    ReplyDelete