Sunday, December 23, 2012

Two Way Gift for Christmas








A few weeks ago I asked my granddaughter Natalie what she wanted for Christmas.  She said "fabric."  I was surprised and charmed by her request.  And I knew immediately where to find some glorious goods.

Kathy is my lifelong friend who lives in a very old, enormous Victorian home.  It's the kind of place that has flocked wallpaper, inlaid wood floors and an organ.  The grounds include a coach house and yard with a gazebo.  More important for this story:  that house is filled with everything!  Kathy knows that someday she will be able to use or share whatever comes her way. Nothing is discarded. So, when I mentioned "fabric",  I knew that little snatches of silk, cotton, velvet, prints, solids, feathers, and more, would appear.

We made our selections for Natalie carefully.  Could she handle silk?  No, too young.  This animal print is perfect!  Yes, it goes on the pile. Oh look, here are some bells.  Pink?  Definitely.  

Two old friends having a ball putting it all together.  What a gift to us.

Merry Christmas!


5 comments:

  1. What a lovely story, Joan. Can't wait to hear Part II and how Natalie uses the fabric. Sending you Warm Winter Wishes and a Joyful New Year. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please say hello to Kathy for me. I love this story of friendship and a grandmother and granddaughter's love. Happiest of holidays, Joan. Camille.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy did something great for Natalie. She was SO excited to get the fabrics! She had a big smile on her face the whole day. Thank you Kathy! Thank you Joan! For making my girl happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this precious story. It made me smile! Merry Christmas, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfectly lovely story, Joan - Thanks so Much! The Very Happiest of Holiday Seasons to you and Bill and Elsa and Natalie and Diego!

    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete